For millions of years humans and their relatives have eaten fish, meat, fowl, leaves, trees, roots and plant. It is important that in our modern society, with so much choice – natural and unnatural that we maintain similar aspects of the paleolithic diet.
The paleo diet advises that we eat fewer processed and artificial foods and more fresh, natural ingredients that provide us with the most nutritional value.
Here I have selected an array of recipes to satisfy the primal paleo diet.
- Fried eggs and sweet potato hash.
- Raspberry and almond muffins.
- Tex-mex breakfast scramble
- Flourless pumpkin pancakes
- Oatmeal made with coconut – Paleo suitable.
1)Fried eggs & sweet potato hash.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium sweet potato or yam (cubed)
- 1 1/2 yellow onion(diced)
- 2 nitrite free sausages(sliced)
- 1 medium bell pepper(diced)
- 4 whole medium eggs
- fresh ground black pepper.
- Large pan, heat coconut oil
- Add onions/sweet potatoes – saute for 5 minutes
- Add sausages and continue to cook until sausages are browned and sweet potatoes are slightly softened.
- Add peppers and 1 tbsp of water
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are completely soft, stirring frequently.
- Fry eggs in separate pan (add 1 tbsp coconut oil)
- Season with the fresh ground black pepper and serve over sweet potato hash.
2) Raspberry and Almond Muffins.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 pure almond extract
- 3 eggs (whisked)
- 1 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup of raw honey
- 1/4 cup silvered almonds
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil
- 1 cup fresh raspberrys
- Preheat oven to 180 Degrees
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Once mixed, set aside bowl.
- Mix eggs, almond butter, honey, almonds, almond extract and coconut oil together in another medium bowl.
- Combine with dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Add in fresh raspberries
- Scoop batter evenly into muffin cups.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
3) Tex-mex breakfast scramble.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1 1/2 chilli powder
- 1/4 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 1/4 red onion (diced)
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 1 jalapeno (diced)
- 200g chicken breasts (diced)
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 1/4 frsh coriander
- Heat coconut oil in pan on medium heat.
- Break eggs into bowl and whisk. Add cumin, chilli powder, salt and water. Scramble until fully whisked.
- Add onions, peppers and jalapeno to the hot pan. Saute for 3-5 minutes.
- Add eggs and chicken and cook while continuously stir until eggs are light and fluffy.
- Remove from heat and stir in tomatoes and top with coriander and serve.
4) Flourless Pumpkin Pancakes
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Raw butter
- Raw honey
- Maple syrup
- Fresh blueberries
- Heat coconut oil in non stick pan
- Whisk eggs together along with puree and cinnamon
- Use eggs to create a pancake( or omlette), flip each side evenly.
- Serve with fresh berries
5)Oatmeal made with coconut – Paleo suitable.
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- handful of finely shredded coconut
- 1/3 banana
- Fresh berries or chia seeds.
- 2 eggs.
- Mix together all coconut in non stick pan
- Bring to boil, cover and reduce the heat to low, simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Crack eggs into the saucepan and whisk quickly to preemt the egg from scrambling.
- Return to heat and stir until thickened.
There you have it, a few paleo recipes that are easy and fresh and will help maintain the healthy diet that you need.