Title: How to Start a Blog.
Subtitle: How to start a WordPress blog.
Wondering how to start a blog? Then look no further. Starting a blog is super easy, I’ve created two main steps: Knowing how to utilise these steps will be the difference between having a great blog and a basic blog.
- Sign up for a WordPress.com /wordpress.org site.
- Follow the steps on the webpage to create your profile.
Now just to put it out there, there are loads of different blogging sites to use, one of my friends uses Wix but I’m going to talk about wordpress because I use it and its the biggest blogging site in the world.
So Step 1)
Type in Google search – wordpress.com. Now there is a stark difference in the wordpress.com and wordpress.org sites. If you’re thinking of starting a blog for business purposes i would go on the .org site. I say this because I wanted my blog for business use and there are certain things such as plugins that you can’t get with the .com site. The .org site is made specifically for business use.
.org site is recommended because its free, easy to use and is a huge social media platform. Therefore if you are blogging for fun or to assist your other social media platforms I would choose the .com site. If you want to use the .org site than the next part will help you but the steps may vary.
Step 2) Sign up for a WordPress account. Now before we begin I recommend you sign up on a computer because its much clearer.
- It will ask you What Your Website is About.Choose your relevant category e.g. Health and fitness.
- It will ask you for your Subcategory( just be more specific).S o if you chose health and fitness – choose exercise or mens health or women’s health as a subcategory. FYI – They have drop down boxes so the categories are already there for you. Just simply click on one which relates to what to want.
- Select your homepage design. You have one of three options. Each design is for visuals only so it wont affect your set up as to which one you choose. Personally I like to have a static homepage so I chose the second one.
- Choose a theme. See below ***
- Choose a Domain name. See below***
- Enter your personal details e.g. name, email etc.
- There you have it – Blog officially signed up.
Choosing a Theme:
Now I have two little bits of advice when choosing a theme in the set up process. Either choose any old theme and alter it once you’re all set up or CAREFULLY choose your theme to begin.
If you carefully choose your theme this will enable you to get going as soon as youre signed up because you KNOW what theme you want and so can plan your posts accordingly. Themes are important as they set the tone for your content. If you want to get it all right and get your first post published as soon as possible I would choose the theme that best suits you.
If you want to just complete set up and go back to change the theme it is super easy to do so. (ill talk through that in another post).
So choose theme – just click on it.
Choosing a Domain Name.
The domain name is the name of your blog, what you want people to search in Google to find you. So for example, I have a coffee blog – my name is Holly and im writing about coffee so I called my blog HOLandCoffee (holandcoffee).
You should choose a name which suits your content e.g. if I was to write about health maybe choose HOLandHEALTHTALK (holandhealthtalk).
You may need to type in your domain name a few times because it may already be taken, If it asks you to do this it will often give you recommended options. If you dont like any them then just keep typing in ideas until it accepts one.
You can also buy a domain name too (the option is on the screen for you) just click on it.
That will give you options to buy names that are .com sites. For example, holandcoffee.com rather than holandcoffee.wordpress.com – it just looks more official. Ive gone for the free option so whatever suits you.
There you have it you have completed the 2 steps to creating your own blog.
Thank you for reading if you have any questions please see below!
set up a blog, how to set up a blog, what is a domain name, domain name, how to set up a wordpress account, wordpress, blog, how to blog, theme